Yesterday, Intel alerted Basis Peak watch customers to two issues. A small number of people have reported that their Basis Peak watches overheated, and in some cases caused discomfort, blistering or burns on their wrist under the watch body. At this time, the known reported cases involve approximately 0.2% of the watches sold to date. However, that is no comfort if you are one of the people affected.
Nothing is more important than your safety, so we are taking the following steps:
- We are in the process of developing and testing a software update designed to shut off your Basis Peak watch if it detects overheating.
- As a precautionary measure, we strongly recommend you do not wear your Basis Peak watch until this update is available and installed. This advice applies to all Basis Peak watches, worldwide.
- We are stopping sales of Basis Peak watches, and we’re asking our retailers to do the same.
- If you are dissatisfied with your Basis Peak watch for any reason you may return it for a full refund. To obtain a refund, customers worldwide can visithttps://support.mybasis.com. Customers can also call the following numbers during normal business hours for the respective locations:
United States and Canada: 1 (844) 622-7472
United Kingdom: 01793-404925
Switzerland: Use the France, Germany or Italy number based on language preference.
“In investigating this situation we have found some reports of Basis Peak watches overheating dating back to late 2014. While the number of reports is small, it is unacceptable to us that it took us so long to take action. We are reviewing our internal processes thoroughly, and we will do better in the future.
In addition, a few customers have reported overheating and melting of their charging cradles. We are investigating these reports but do not have enough information yet to verify whether they all involve official Basis Peak charging cradles, one of several third-party cradles currently available, or third party power sources. In the meantime, we recommend following these general safety principles with any USB charging cradle and power source:
- Keep the power source, USB cable, and charging cradle away from liquids.
- Thoroughly clean and dry the contacts and surrounding area before connecting the cable to the charging cradle, USB port, or power source.
- Unplug the USB cable and charging cradle during long periods of non-use.
- Keep the cable, charging cradle, and your power source away from sources of heat, such as candles, fireplaces, radiators, stoves, and other appliances that radiate heat. Do not leave them in direct sunlight.
- Make sure the charging cradle, USB cable, and your power source are not damaged or broken. If there are breaks or other visible damage, do not use.